Have you ever scared a random stranger so thoroughly that they literally appeared to be on the verge of a heart attack? I have. And I didn't even apologize. Cut me some slack though, because I was barely a teenager and I was absolutely mortified. Here's the story.
My sister had recently given birth and was still in the hospital. Mom and a few of my other siblings (I can't recall which ones) visited her one afternoon. As we were getting ready to leave, mom left before the rest of us to get in the car. We made our way to the parking lot a few minutes after she left, and I noticed our vehicle idling near the hospital entrance. Being the weird and obnoxiously energetic young teenager that I was, I ran up to the driver's side window where my mom was sitting with her head lowered, banged my hands on the window, and smashed my face against it while making some type of grotesque noise. I expected to see my startled mother looking back at me, but instead my eyes looked right into the terrified face of some random woman. Her expression was a mixture of horror and complete confusion. I could almost hear her eyes screaming "Why????". I think she may have peed herself.
Meanwhile, in my absolute mortification, I could not figure out how to react. So... I just walked away. I literally walked away with no hint of apology on my face and no outward sign of remorse even though I had just died a little bit from embarrassment. I can only imagine the stories that poor stranger had to tell about the heartless young girl who nearly gave her a heart attack in the hospital parking lot and then simply walked away with complete indifference.
I had a friend that would stop cars that were slowly driving through parking lots (only when it was raining) to inform the driver that their windshield wipers were on :) the looks on their faces were priceless!
ReplyDeleteDid he film their reactions? That would have been very entertaining. :) I have always wished I could do spontaneously funny things like that (but my funny moments always happen by accident and end up embarrassing me more than the other person) :)
Deleteno, we never did film it, would love to have those videos today
Delete