Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Standing for Something

The other day, a couple of my sisters and I were quoting funny lines from a hilarious TV show that we like to watch. It has some humor in it that is "off-color" and inappropriate, but I love it anyway. I'm not writing this to make myself or anyone else feel guilty for watching it, because it makes me laugh when I really need to laugh the most. And I'm not talking about a cute little "hehe" laugh. I'm talking about the loud kind of laugh that makes me sound like a demented elf. I love the show so much that I am willing to "overlook" its inappropriateness. :)

However, something happened a couple of weeks ago that really made me think about what it means to stand for something. While my sisters and I were quoting funny lines from this particular show in a group text message, one of my sisters asked what show the line was from. Another sister told her the name of the show, then quickly followed it up by saying: "you wouldn't like it". It wasn't meant as a jab in any way. It was just a statement of fact. We all knew that this particular sister would not appreciate the humor in that television show. It was as sure to us as her very existence.

As time passed, I quickly forgot our texting conversation, but one statement stayed with me for days afterward: "you wouldn't like it". It was such a simple statement, but to me it was profoundly rich in meaning. To live one's life in such a way that everyone knows without a doubt what you stand for is such a rare feat in today's world. I have a sister who lives this way. Though she is far from perfect just like the rest of us, she is a rare beacon of light in today's lost and wandering world. While modern society is flooded with moral relativism and constantly wavering standards, my sister (and those like her), are like lighthouses in a harbor - steadfast and constant.

Thank you, sweet
sister (whom I will not name in case you will be embarrassed :), for living in such a way that no one ever has to wonder what you stand for.


No comments:

Post a Comment